Like their ancestral Chapter, the Wolfspear do not conform to the dictates of the Codex Astartes, but instead make use of many of the same customs and organisational designations as the Space Wolves.
The Wolfspear's intimidating pack-hunting tactics permeate every strategic strata of their Chapter combat doctrine. Packs of stealthy killers swiftly destroy the enemy's vanguard, squadrons of swift vehicles encircle macro-cities, and prowling rapid-strike vessels gut larger spacecraft in the void.
The Wolfspear's precision strikes sever avenues of escape, sowing confusion. Static-laced howls fill enemy vox-nets or echo within foes' skulls as the Chapter's Iron Priests and Rune Priests unleash tempests of terror.
As the foe desperately try to repulse attacks on multiple fronts, flinching at half-seen blurs, suddenly the Wolfspear strike hard. At a single point from multiple directions, their packs tear the throat from an enemy already in fear.
The Wolfspear was originally created as an understrength, fleet-based Chapter by Lord Commander of the Imperium Roboute Guilliman from the ranks of his Unnumbered Sons when he brought the Primaris creation technology to the Space Wolves of Fenris.
After the end of the first phase of the Indomitus Crusade, they were tasked with guarding the Pit of Raukos to prevent any further use of that Warp rift by the forces of Chaos to assault the nearby Imperial worlds.
The Astartes of the Wolfspear suffer from a deep burden -- though they know their progenitors, the Space Wolves, have accepted Primaris Space Marines like them into the ranks of their Chapter, there are still many within the Space Wolves who have not yet decided whether to accept Primaris Marines as true inheritors of the legacy of the Wolf King despite the acceptance of the Wolfspear by the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar.
Through the bloodshed and horror that spreads from the Great Rift, the enemies of the Imperium are stalked by the fearsome Wolfspear. Their brooding mien reveals a dark mindset and their grim brotherhood of dedicated hunters seldom laugh.
Initially formed as an understrength, fleet-based Chapter when Roboute Guilliman brought the Primaris Marine creation technology to Fenris to allow the Space Wolves to gain access to the Primaris reinforcements, the Wolfspear were granted additional warriors by the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar himself.
Thus were forged enduring and unprecedented bonds of brotherhood between the Wolfspear and the Space Wolves, and the Wolfspear now gladly maintain many Fenrisian customs.
- Guardians of the Pit of Raukos (Unknown Date.M42) - During the Indomitus Crusade, Guilliman and his forces fought a major battle against the forces of Chaos who had emerged from the Pit of Raukos, an ancient Warp rift located in the star system that orbited the dying sun designated 108/Kapalus-9. The Pit was an old anomaly, predating the violent turbulence in the Warp that had created the Great Rift and was located in a region of Wilderness Space that had never been claimed by the Imperium during the Great Crusade. The Pit of Raukos was a deep rift in realspace that was used frequently by both Daemons and Chaos Space Marine warbands to launch raids into the surrounding Imperial space with relative impunity. Guilliman's Astartes defeated the forces of Chaos near the Pit, finally clearing the system of all the servants of the Archenemy. In the wake of the Imperial victory and after the end of this first phase of the Indomitus Crusade, Guilliman ordered the Wolfspear Chapter of Primaris Space Marines originally created from among the Unnumbered Sons of Leman Russ' genetic lineage to take up permanent garrison duties near the Pit of Raukos. Their purpose was to prevent the Warp rift from ever being used by the servants of the Ruinous Powers again. This was an unpopular decision with the Primaris Marines of the newborn Wolfspear, who sought always to remain on the front lines of the Imperial counteroffensive as they believed proper for true scions of Leman Russ.
- Cordon Impenetra (Unknown.M42) - The Dark Krakens Chapter and elements of the Wolfspear are currently fighting a tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan in the Pankallis Sub-sector of the Octarius Sector. The Dark Krakens 5th Company and other Dark Krakens forces under the command of Captain Krijeni Luceior known as Strike Force Luceior were despatched by Chapter Master Mezonkyi Reio to the three planets in the Bianzeer's Hollow System to clear them of the Tyranid scourge. They were aided by the Wolfspear, which also joined the fighting on the frozen Death World oddly named Death of Bianzeer.
- Battle Leader Rakmeyr Bluewolf - Bluewolf was among the Wolfspear forces that were sent to defend the Pankallis Sub-sector from Hive Fleet Leviathan. Bluewolf fought to cleanse the Tyranids from the world of Death of Bianzeer.
- Sergeant Bjarni Arvisson - Bjarni Arvasson was originally a sergeant in command of an Inceptor Squad in the Unnumbered Sons, the nine Legion-sized forces created by Roboute Guilliman which comprised half of the Primaris Space Marines created during the Ultima Founding who were not placed within the normal Adeptus Astartes Chapter structure. He, along with many of his Space Wolves-derived brethren, were formed into the Wolfspear Chapter to guard the Pit of Raukos.
The Wolfspear's Chapter colours are light grey with black shoulder plates, knee plates and backpack. Iconography is often added in red.
The Wolfspear's Chapter badge is a white wolf's head face on, fangs bared. There are two red spears crossed behind it, pointing down.
- Dark Imperium (Novel) by Guy Haley, Chs. 6, 15
- Codex Supplement Space Wolves (9th Edition), pg. 15
- White Dwarf 466 (July 2021), "Flashpoint: Octarius - Blood and Snow", pg. 23
- Guy Haley Twitter Feed - Shows Fan Made Chapter colours and badge