The Vigilus System is a star system centred on the star Astravigilia that lies in the Nachmund Sub-sector of an unknown sector in the Segmentum Obscurus. It lies on the Imperium Nihilus side of the Nachmund Gauntlet, the only confirmed navigable passage through the Great Rift.
Because of its strategic position, the system has come under assault from multiple factions, and its major inhabited planet, the Imperial Sentinel World of Vigilus, became the primary war zone of the great conflict waged during the early 42nd Millennium remembered as the War of Beasts.
The Great Rift lies directly on the edge of the Vigilus System to coreward, and the highly eccentric orbit of its outer asteroid girdle actually passed through the great Warp rift for some time after its formation.
The following worlds are listed in the order they circle the system's primary star Astravigilia, from nearest to furthest.
- Geotrope XII (Mining World) - Geotrope XII is the world that circles closest to the Astravigilia star and serves as a Mining World for the system.
- Falsehood (Death World) - Falsehood has been designated a Death World by the Imperium.
- Vigilus (Hive World/Sentinel World) - Vigilus is the primary settled world of the system, and was the heart of the conflict that raged for control over it by multiple factions that became known as the War of Beasts.
- Neo-Vellum (Moon) - Neo-Vellum is the moon of Vigilus. It is entirely controlled by an outpost of the Adeptus Administratum.
- Omis-Prion - The fourth world of the Vigilus System is considered off-limits by the Imperium due to some form of connection to an unknown xenos species.
- Nemendghast (Industrial World) - Nemendghast was a former Imperial Industrial World that had lain in the outer reaches of the Vigilus System as part of an asteroid girdle. After the birth of the Great Rift, the world was swallowed by that vast Warp rift during its course along its highly elliptical orbit and was conquered by the forces of the Black Legion. It was swiftly transformed into a Hell-Forge for the forces of Abaddon the Despoiler, who used it to create Daemon Engines to supplement the Despoiler's assault upon the Sentinel World of Vigilus during the War of Beasts.
- Hearthlack (Moon) - Hearthlack was a small planetoid that orbited around Nemendghast as its only satellite.
- Imperium Nihilus - Vigilus Defiant (8th Edition), pp. 5, 122
- Warhammer Community - Shadowspear Focus: The Story So Far