The Thermal Cannon is a large Melta Weapon carried by the combat walkers of the Imperial Knights and Chaos Knights. The Thermal Cannon strikes fear into even the mightiest of foes, for such a weapon is capable of immolating everything in a wide radius.
The hissing blasts from a Thermal Cannon can melt through a fortress wall or turn a battle tank into a pile of bubbling slag. Against infantry, entire hordes can be reduced to smouldering ruin.
There is no armour that offers any proof against the Thermal Cannon's super-heated shots, which become even more effective at close range. The Thermal Cannon is the main weapon of the Knight Errant and a secondary weapon for the Knight Crusader.
Due to the sheer diversity of Knight Worlds and Forge Worlds in the Imperium there exist a multitude of minor variants of the Thermal Cannon, each different from the last in a number of distinct ways. The known variants include:
- Standard Thermal Cannon - The most common type of Thermal Cannon, this variant features two barrels and is similar in appearance to that of a Multi-Melta or a Flamestorm Cannon.
- Inverted Thermal Cannon - An uncommon variant, this pattern features two barrels like the standard version, but in a side-by-side configuration.
- Snub-barrelled Thermal Cannon - This uncommon variant features a single short barrel.
- Single-barrelled Thermal Cannon - This uncommon variant features a single barrel that is similar in appearance to that of an oversized Meltagun.
- Codex: Imperial Knights (7th Edition), pp. 16, 21, 24, 29-30, 115
- Warhammer 40,000: Index - Chaos (8th Edition), pg. 109
- Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade (Video Game)