Tactica Imperialis is the second background book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series of novels by Dan Abnett. Tactica Imperialis was first published in 2007 and details four separate Imperial military campaigns from the latter years of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, with accompanying maps and descriptions of battles and important characters. As of 2017 the book is currently out-of-print, however, the section focusing on Lyubov was partially reprinted as an appendix in the Sabbat Crusade anthology.
This is a Warhammer 40,000 background book, emulating in tone the The Sabbat Worlds Crusade, describing a number of significant battles/campaigns in Imperial history. The book is written from the perspective of an actual educational document of the 41st Millennium and as such is packed with diagrams, maps, artwork, photos and numerous facts and figures of these battles.
Tactica Imperialis includes the following sections detailing Imperial Campaigns from the latter years of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, with accompanying maps and descriptions of battles and important characters.
- Naxos - The Reef Stars 811.M41 - Dark Eldar raiders mount a raid on the main habitation area of Naxos, Colony One, until the Adeptus Astartes of the Iron Snakes Chapter, under the command of Captain Trokus, arrives to put an end to the raids.
- Lyubov - The Sabbat Worlds 778.M41 - The Hive World of Lyubov has been conquered by the Forces of Chaos, including warriors of the Blood Pact. General Andreas Carnhide, a veteran Astra Militarum commander, has to draw together feuding factions of the Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy and the Adeptus Mechanicus to retake the planet.
- Rophanon - The Protean Ebb 990.M41 - The council of Rophanon instigates a rebellion against the Imperium for taking their lands and power away, turning Rophanon into a retirement community for high-ranking clerks and a massive records storage facility. Lord General Artemis Blythe just so happens to be on the planet recovering from wounds suffered during a void battle. He leads the Imperial counterattack against the rebels, which eventually becomes mired in a war of attrition. When the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Leviathan emerge near Rophanon Imperial Forces withdraw and let the Tyranids destroy the planet before the Deathwatch pronounce Exterminatus.
- The Black Crusade of Jihar The Lacerator - 599.M37 - Former Emperor's Children officer Jihar the Lacerator invades Imperial space but is met by stern resistance from the 13th Mordant Acid-Dogs regiment of the Astra Militarum, the so-called "Lucky 13s".
- Tactica Imperialis (Background Book) by Dan Abnett