The Suns of Damnation are a Traitor Titan Legion of the Dark Mechanicum that repudiated their oaths to the Emperor of Mankind and followed Warmaster Horus into the service of the Ruinous Powers during the Horus Heresy.
Formerly known as the "Burning Stars" Titan Legion, there is very little information in the Imperial records about this obscure Titan Legion, though it is suspected to have been founded before the Age of the Imperium, during the Age of Strife.
Even before the outbreak of open civil war, the climate on Mars before the start of the Horus Heresy was one filled with tension. There were unconfirmed suspicions that the Titan Legions stationed there had already secretly chosen sides in case of a potential conflict.
At the outset of the Heresy, when the great civil war within the ancient Mechanicum known as the Schism of Mars broke out, the Burning Stars Titan Legion fought against the Loyalist Legio Ignatum ("Fire Wasps").
It is assumed that the Burning Stars were either destroyed at the end of the Heresy or were driven towards the Eye of Terror along with the rest of the forces of Chaos, where they eventually renamed themselves the Suns of Damnation to indicate their change of allegiance.
- Schism of Mars (ca. 205.M31) - When civil war erupted on Mars during the opening days of the Horus Heresy, in the Athabasca Valles the war machines of the Burning Stars and the Legio Ignatum fought in bloody close quarters through the teardrop landforms caused by catastrophic flooding in an earlier, ancient age of the Red Planet. Neither force could gain the advantage, nor could either claim victory, so after a night’s undignified scrapping, both withdrew to lick their wounds.
- Skylok (Chaos-corrupted Warlord-class Titan) - The notorious "Winged Daemon Titan" of Tzeentch, Skylok escaped the carnage of the Horus Heresy after the Warmaster was killed. Taking refuge within the Eye of Terror, Skylok now waits in eternal conflict for a chance to wreak his vengeance upon the worlds of Mankind once again. Trapped within the Eye for ten millennia, the once-proud Warlord Titan has become a twisted and corrupt -- possessed by the spirit of a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch. Commanded by the fallen Grand Master Sarlon Hess, wherever the Suns of Damnation Traitor Titan Legion go, the mighty form of Skylok swooping through the skies is an ominous sign of awaiting death that causes fear in all that behold it.
- Grand Master Sarlon Hess - Once the Horus Heresy was under way, Sarlon Hess, the grand master of the Burning Stars Titan Legion, was one of the first Imperial commanders to come under the Warmaster's sway. He announced his traitorous intentions by mounting a lightning raid upon the important Imperial fuel dump on Stienor IV, immobilising an entire Imperial fleet armada for a whole solar month. His whereabouts following the Horus Heresy are unknown. It is presumed that the Burning Stars fled along with the Traitor Legions into the hellish realm of the Eye of Terror where they became the Suns of Damnation. An Edict of Obliteration was promptly ordered by the High Lords of Terra, and Hess' name and all data concerning the Burning Stars were promptly struck from Imperial records.
This Traitor Titan Legion's colours are not listed in current Imperial records.
This Traitor Titan Legion's badge is not listed in current Imperial records
- Citadel Journal 10, "Titan Legions - Legions of Chaos," by James Funnell, pg. 32
- Mechanicum (Novel) by Graham McNeill