A Strike Cruiser is the second major type of starship usually deployed by the fleets of the Adeptus Astartes.
While a Space Marine Chapter only rarely will deploy the might of a powerful and usually quite ancient Battle Barge, Adeptus Astartes Strike Cruisers are a more common sight, though anything to do with the Space Marines is still a rare event in the galaxy.
Often the arrival of a Space Marine Strike Cruiser is enough in itself to quell the defiance of a star system rebelling against the Emperor. The Astartes are quick to act if the surrender of the Emperor's foes is not rapid and immediate. Strike Cruisers are fast, lightly-armed starships which mass slightly less than the Imperial Navy's Dauntless-class Light Cruisers.
Their primary function is to provide rapid response, as they are usually the first Imperial defenders to arrive at a threatened Imperial world. Strike Cruisers are capable of carrying one full company of Space Marines as well as all of their needed armoured support vehicles. They have been known to deploy their full contingent of Astartes within only twenty solar minutes of their arrival in orbit of a target planet.
Like Battle Barges, Strike Cruisers do not represent a single class of Imperial starship or a specific, standardised configuration of weapons systems and other capabilities, but actually represent a large range of different Space Marine starships in the light cruiser tonnage class that are used for the same basic tasks.
Firstly, Strike Cruisers must be fast, with a substantial troop transport capacity and multiple means for delivering troops to a planetary surface rapidly, whether that be through the use of teleporters, Drop Pods, or launch bays equipped with Thunderhawks.
Within the demands of these basic operational parameters, Strike Cruisers can actually take a wide array of different physical forms, although most of them have become outfitted with the mighty Bombardment Cannon to support landing troops from orbit.
Other Astartes Chapters also possess widely differing forms of Strike Cruiser, each shaped by the Chapter's long centuries of tradition and varying tactical doctrines. The Strike Cruisers pictured here simply represent several possibilities for this wide array of physical differences.
The conception of the Strike Cruiser is believed to rely heavily on the original plans for the Ebon Drake, a new type of vessel originally called an "Assault Cruiser" that was developed by the XVIIIth Legion -- the Salamanders -- a scant few Terran years before the start of the Horus Heresy.
Allegedly, the Primarch Vulkan himself had a hand in the Ebon Drake's creation and also gifted its plans to several of the other Primarchs and their Legions, but only a few prototypes were built before the galaxy was engulfed in civil war.
It would not be before the beginning of the Great Scouring in 019.M31, when the victorious Loyalists set out to purge the galaxy of the Traitor Legions, that the Ebon Drake's design was refined in preparation for the construction of similar vessels for the newborn Adeptus Astartes Chapters of the Second Founding.
Vanguard Light Cruiser
Fleet-based Chapters also make use of a vessel called a Vanguard Cruiser that is a refit variant of the standard Strike Cruiser intended to undertake long-range, long-duration operations independent of support from the rest of the Chapter, often serving as reconnaissance or exploratory vessels for the Chapter fleet or as Heavy Escorts.
Vanguard-class Light Cruisers are less capable of undertaking planetary assaults like normal Strike Cruisers because their weapons profile has been optimised for ship-to-ship combat, planetary exploration, reconnaissance and boarding operations.
The Vanguard-class Light Cruiser comes in three main patterns:
- Mark I - Armed with Torpedo launchers, Macrocannons, and launch bays for attack craft.
- Mark II - Armed with Lances, Macrocannons, and attack craft launch bays.
- Mark III - Armed with a single Bombardment Cannon, Macrocannons, and attack craft launch bays.
Grey Knights Strike Cruiser
The Grey Knights, perhaps the most elite and secretive of the Space Marine Chapters, maintain their base on Saturn's moon of Titan within the Sol System itself, close to Mars and the primary shipyards of the Adeptus Mechanicus, so their Strike Cruisers are highly advanced vessels, utilising the most advanced weapons, armour, Warp-Drives, Void Shields and other systems available in the Imperium, even by the already high technological standards of the Space Marines.
Their advanced technology is augmented by powerful sorcerous enchantments to protect them from the perils of the Warp.
Because of their advanced engines and Warp-Drives as well as their highly trained Navigators, Grey Knights vessels are the fastest ships in the Imperium and can respond to a Daemonic incursion long before other Imperial Forces
Grey Knights starships are also piloted by the most trusted and elite Navigators of the Navis Nobilite, capable of steering the most efficient courses through the unpredictable Warp. The Grey Knights fleet is based at the Broadsword Station, located in orbit above the moon Titan.
Punisher-class Strike Cruiser
The Punisher-class Strike Cruiser is a cruiser used by the Adeptus Arbites. Forming the backbone of the Arbites fleet, the Punisher is primarily a patrol vessel used to bolster local Planetary Defence Force security, put down rebellions, hunt down pirate bands, and transport high-ranking Arbites officials.
The design of the Punisher is very similar to that of a Space Marine Strike Cruiser, though the Punisher possesses less armour and heavy weaponry then its Astartes counterpart.
These ships however do maintain specialised scanning arrays designed to locate pirate bases and Heretic strongholds in isolated regions of space.
Adeptus Arbites ships are few compared to their Imperial Navy counterparts and thus rarely participate in major engagements or joint fleet actions.
One such craft, the Inviolable Retribution, saw service during the Gothic War where it proved invaluable in evacuating the world of Belatis.
Olympia-class Strike Cruiser
Notable Strike Cruisers
- Aeruginosus of the Raven Guard
- Andronius of the Emperor's Children (destroyed by the Iron Hands)
- Angelica Mortis of the Excoriators
- Argent Blade of the Black Dragons
- Armageddon of the Blood Ravens
- Captain Augusta of the Exorcists
- Capulus of the Imperial Fists
- Claw of Justice of the Red Talons
- Claw of Russ of the Space Wolves
- Covenant of Blood of the Night Lords
- Dread Argent of the Silver Skulls
- Dorn's Wrath of the Black Templars
- Ebon Drake of the Salamanders
- Echo of Damnation of the Night Lords
- Eternal Faith of the White Consuls
- Eternal Defiance of the Exorcists
- Heritor of Ages of the Consecrators
- Hermes of the White Consuls
- Holy Execution of the Red Talons
- Hunter of the Exorcists
- Ladon of the Star Dragons
- Mark of Honour of the Storm Wardens
- Majesty of the Black Templars
- Ophidian of the Blood Swords
- Ophidium Gulf of the Black Templars
- Proxima Justus of the Avenging Sons
- Purest Intent of the Shadow Wolves (captured by xenos raiders)
- Purgatory of the Marines Malevolent
- Quicksilver of the Silver Skulls
- Raven's Valour of the Raven Guard
- Ravenous Spirit of the Blood Ravens
- Rage of Erudition of the Blood Ravens
- Retribution of the Blood Ravens
- Revenant of the Reclaimers
- Rubicon of the Grey Knights
- Shahmsihr of the Red Scimitars
- Shield of Valour of the Imperial Fists (captured by the Iron Warriors)
- Sisypheum of the Iron Hands
- Slaughtering Star of the Fire Hawks
- Star Jackal of the Marines Errant
- Stormwolf of the Space Wolves
- Terrible Angel of the Imperial Fists
- Titus of the Imperial Fists
- Triumph of the Raven Guard
- Vae Victus of the Ultramarines
- Valin's Revenge of the Ultramarines
- Vengeance Incandescent of the Imperial Fists
- Vulkan's Wrath of the Salamanders
- Warrior of the Plains of the White Scars
- Wolf of Fenris of the Space Wolves (captured by the Red Corsairs)
- Battle Barge
- Gladius-class Frigate
- Gloriana-class Battleship
- Nova-class Frigate
- Rapid Strike Vessel
- Hunter-class Destroyer
- Vanguard Cruiser
- Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 (PC Game)
- Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 10, pp. 22-23
- Codex: Black Templars (4th Edition)
- Codex: Blood Angels (5th Edition)
- Codex: Dark Angels (5th Edition)
- Codex: Grey Knights (5th Edition), pp. 11-12
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- Codex: Space Wolves (5th Edition)
- Battlefleet Gothic: To Cleanse the Stars (Novel) by Andy Chambers and Matt Keefe
- Ultramarines (Novel Series)
- Grey Knights (Novel Series)
- Helsreach (Novel) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
- Legends of the Space Marines (Anthology), "Cover of Darkness" by Mitchel Scanlon
- The Horus Heresy - Book Three: Extermination (Forge World Series) by Alan Bligh, pg. 15
- The Horus Heresy - Book Six: Retribution (Forge World Series) by Alan Bligh, pg. 35
- Horus Heresy Novel Series
- Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising (PC Game)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC Game)
- Warhammer 40,000: Fallen 9 (Comic) by George Mann
- Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two, pg. 46