The Stalker is an adaptation of the Hunter Standard Template Construct (STC) that was unearthed by the Adeptus Mechanicus only a few standard millennia ago. Mounting a pair of independently tracking Icarus Stormcannons, the Stalker can target multiple enemy contacts, stitching the skies with a hail of armour-piercing death.
The Stalker is a relatively new addition to the armouries of the Adeptus Astartes, having only been put into production relatively recently after its STC data was rediscovered.
The Stalker's front and flank armour is thicker than most other Rhino-chassis-based vehicles, allowing the Stalker to deflect or absorb more incoming enemy fire.
The Stalker's sides also feature hydraulic stabilisers that anchor the vehicle to the ground so that when it fires its anti-aircraft artillery it suffers no recoil and loss of accuracy.
Space Marine battle tanks are not permanently attached to any one company. Instead they form a vehicle pool, and individual tanks are available for deployment to Space Marine commanders as required.
Upon its creation, a Space Marine battle tank is assigned a name that reflects its role as a protector of the Chapter's brethren. From that point onwards, the vehicle is as much a part of the Chapter as the Space Marines themselves, and over the years its many deeds and victories will be celebrated as greatly as the Chapter's flesh and blood heroes.
The Stalker is an anti-air variant of the standard Astartes Whirlwind Artillery Tank. The Stalker replaces the Whirlwind's Whirlwind Multiple Missile Launcher with an Icarus Stormcannon Array. Unsubtle and devastating, the Icarus Stormcannons are a twinned array of multi-barrelled ballistic cannons that have the capacity to track multiple targets at once.
Each cannon is shackled to separate servo-minds that direct the cannon independently of each other. The weapons can fire upon separate targets, or if needed they can both fire upon the same target.
Each salvo fired from the Stormcannons fills the air with hundreds of rounds of ammunition that are capable of tearing even the greatest winged Tyranid beast or potent enemy flyer from the sky.
The Stalker can also be outfitted with Dozer Blades, Extra Armour Plating, a Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher, improved communications equipment, a Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter, a Searchlight, and Smoke Launchers.
The Stalker is capable of unleashing its Stormcannons in two different firing modes depending on the situation, as follows:
- Single Target Mode - The Stalker concentrates both its Stormcannons at the same target, and the weapons act as if they were twin-linked, firing in tandem. This sheer concentration of fire can bring down even the heaviest of enemy flyers.
- Dual Target Mode - The Stalker is capable of firing its Stormcannons independently of one another, each firing upon a different target at the same time. This reduces the sheer amount of damage that can be inflicted upon a single target but allows the Stalker to engage multiple targets effectively.
- 1-3 Stalker Anti-Air Tanks
A standard Stalkerr is armed and equipped with:
A Stalker may take one of the following pintle-mounted weapons:
Stalkers may also have a variety of vehicle equipment such as:
The following is a list of known formations used by the Stalker:
- Anti-Air Defence Force - The Anti-Air Defence Force provides an Astartes strike force a formidible amount of anti-air protection. This formation is made up of both Hunter and Stalker anti-air tanks. The formation can include any number Hunters but must include at least two Stalker tanks.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical Specifications
|Vehicle Name:||Whirlwind Stalker||Main Armament:||Turret-mounted Icarus Stormcannon Array|
|Forge World of Origin:||Unknown||Secondary Armament:||N/A|
|Known Patterns:||Unknown||Traverse:||360 degrees|
|Crew:||1 Driver, 1 Gunner||Elevation:||0 to 55 degrees|
|Powerplant:||Quad MkII Adaptable Thermic Combustor Reactor||Main Ammunition:||Unknown|
|Weight:||33 Tonnes (Approx.)||Secondary Ammunition:||N/A|
|Length:||6.6 metres (Approx.)||Armour:|
|Width:||4.5 metres (Approx.)|
|Height:||5.0 metres (Approx.)||Superstructure:||Unknown|
|Ground Clearance:||0.44 metres (Approx.)||Hull:||Unknown|
|Max Speed On-Road:||Unknown||Gun Mantlet:||N/A|
|Max Speed Off-Road:||Unknown||Vehicle Designation:||Unknown|
|Transport Capacity:||N/A||Firing Ports:||N/A|
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (8th Edition), pp. 88-89, 175
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (7th Edition) (Digital Edition), "Battle Tanks", "Stalkers"
- Codex: Space Marines (8th Edition) (Revised Codex), pp. 85, 153
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pp. 100-101, 121, 176
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels (8th Edition), pp. 59, 117
- White Dwarf (September 2013) - Space Marine Stalker
- Games Workshop - Whirlwind Stalker / Hunter
- Warhammer 40,000: Munitorum - Stalkers and Hunters (Digital Edition)
- Warhammer 40,000: Index Astartes - Volume I (Digital Edition)