"Tread softly brothers, the foe is close and my blade thirsts for vengeance."
- — Captain Shay, Revilers 7th Company
The Revilers is a Loyalist Space Marines Chapter and a rare Second Founding Successor Chapter of the Raven Guard. The ranks of the Revilers were drawn heavily from the Veterans of the original XIX Legion, those few survivors of the Drop Site Massacre of Istvaan V.
The Chapter's warriors have proven worthy inheritors of Corax's legacy, possessing exceptional skills in stealth warfare and ambush tactics.
During the Second Founding, when the original Space Marine Legions were partitioned at the end of the Horus Heresy, three new Chapters were sired from the gene-seed of the Raven Guard. The Revilers was one of these three original Second Founding Chapters of the XIX Legion.
The Revilers' ranks were drawn heavily from the Veterans of the original Legion, the few survivors of the Drop Site Massacre of Istvaan V disaster amongst them, and they have ever pursued vengeance against those Traitors who betrayed the Raven Guard on that fateful day.
The Revilers have proven to be worthy inheritors of their Primarch Corvus Corax, striking in battle with stealth and precision before fading back into the shadows. In this way, they have bled dry countless foes, most recently a cell of the Alpha Legion -- the Revilers leading the Traitors on a lethal chase across every world in the Haedrax System before striking at their fragmented foes and annihilating them.
- The Purging of Azoth (999.M37) - Inquisitor Jhovus Theon, known as a firebrand Puritan and by whose hand both the guilty and the innocent had burned on the pyre, turned Renegade when he fell under the influence of the denizens of the Warp. In league with Dark Apostles of the Word Bearers Traitor Legion, he triggered a full-scale daemonic incursion on the planet Azoth. Theon's former peers petitioned the Adeptus Astartes' Revilers Chapter for aid, and while victory was theirs, the subsequent Azoth Drop cost the Chapter dearly. Having slain the fallen Inquisitor and purged the cursed planet, the surviving Battle-Brothers were subjected to mnemonic purgation so that Inquisitor Theon's sins may be expunged for all time from the annals of the Imperium.
- Battle of the Gorgon Depths (160.M39) - The Revilers and the Red Seraphs Space Marine Chapters aided Battlefleet Orpheus in the Orpheus Sector of the Segmentum Tempestus, confronting and eventually defeating a major Ork invasion force in a nineteen-week-long running space battle before it could fully penetrate the sector. The Ork menace was finally curbed when its flagship "Mega-Kroozer" was destroyed in a savage boarding action led by a spearhead of Space Marine Terminators. Scattered Ork survivors slinked away into the darkness, however, and went on to prove a constant thorn in the side of the Orphean worlds for centuries to come as pirates and raiders who concealed themselves in the debris-systems and turbulent gravitic vortexes that border the Orphean Deluvian Sub-sector.
- Reconquest of the Zypher Sub-Sector (204-224.M41) - For almost 300 years the Ork empire of WAAAGH! Arbutz ruled the Zypher Sub-sector and was left unmolested, until a campaign of re-conquest was finally begun in 204.M41. The re-conquest was led by troops of the Raven Guard, Marauders, Eagle Warriors and Revilers Space Marine Chapters, supported by over two-dozen Imperial Guard regiments. In a long, hard fought campaign, these troops battled to reclaim the planets lost to Warlord Arbutz, until finally in 224.M41 the Zypher Sub-sector was declared free of the taint of alien infection.
- Plains of Azoth (Unknown Date.M41) - The Revilers' 6th Company used Drop Pods to insert themselves onto the Plains of Azoth against heavy enemy opposition.
- The Lithon Purge (833.M41) - Over a hundred billion Imperial citizens were slain or captured by Drukhari in the Lithon System. The Revilers spent many solar months purging the xenos from the system and swore vengeance on those that escaped into the Webway.
- Krandor Rebellion (853.M41) - The Krandor Rebellion escalated when Alpha Legion forces arrived and the world's Planetary Defence Forces crumbled. The Imperial Fists, Fire Lords and Revilers launched a counter-attack to secure vital Imperial artefacts before Exterminatus was declared.
- Reconquest of the Forsarr Sector (999.M41) - Three standard years after the fall of the sector's vital Hive World capital of Forsarr in the Segmentum Tempestus, the Administratum finally recongnised the true threat posed by WAAAGH! Garaghak. The Aurora Chapter joined a powerful coalition with their brethren of the Revilers and the Death Eagles as well as a demi-legio of Titans of the Legio Astraman and several regiments of Imperial Guard and Ecclesiarchal troops. They took the fight to the Orks and reclaimed the Forsarr Sector for the Emperor. It is unknown if the fact that the Raven Guard's homeworld of Deliverance is also located in the Forsarr Sector prompted this deployment.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - The Revilers contributed less than a company to the defence of the Cadian Gate from the Forces of Chaos during the 13th Black Crusade.
Like their genetic forebears, the Revilers abide by the tenets of the Codex Astartes, which details the organisation and tactical doctrines of the Space Marines, written after the great schism of the Horus Heresy had set Space Marine Legions against one another in a galaxy-wide civil war that almost destroyed the fledgling Imperium.
Chapter Combat Doctrine
The Revilers specialise in jungle and wet-weather environment warfare. Like its predecessors in the Raven Guard, the Chapter specialises in guerrilla tactics behind enemy lines, using precisely coordinated attacks and refraining from frontal attacks or protracted attrition warfare.
The Chapter uses rapid maneuver engagements consisting of Assault Marines, Land Speeders and Assault Bikes aimed at harassment, sabotage and destruction of key targets over the direct engagement of enemy forces at large.
The Revilers also rely heavily on their Scout Marine elements, who operate without support for unusually extended amounts of time, even by Space Marine standards. The Chapter almost always combines small unit tactics with its preference for covert, behind-enemy-lines operations.
The Revilers wear grey Power Armour. The Aquila or Imperialis on the chest guard is silver. White squad specialty markings -- battleline, close support, fire support, Veteran or command -- designate operational specialty on the right shoulder plate.
A black High Gothic numeral stenciled on the centre of the squad specialty symbol, as well as the left knee guard, indicates squad number.
The colour of the helmet stripe indicates company number in accordance with the dictates of the Codex Astartes -- i.e. White (1st Company), Yellow (2nd Company), Red (3rd Company), Green (4th Company), etc.
Some company captains are known to paint their entire helm in their company's colour for better recognition on the field of battle.
The Revilers' Chapter badge is the profile of a human skull shot through from top left to lower right by a yellow lightning bolt, although some depictions forgo the lightning bolt. This is centred on a field of grey.
- Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition)
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 53
- Codex: Space Marines (8th Edition) (Revised Codex), pg. 46
- Codex: Space Marines (7th Edition) (Digital Edition), pg. 138
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pp. 18, 45, 65, 149
- Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 73
- How to Paint Space Marines (2004), pg. 83
- Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, pp. 42, 151
- Imperial Armour Volume Two, Second Edition - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 18
- Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid on Kastorel-Novem, pp. 77, 104-112
- Imperial Armour Volume Twelves - The Fall of Orpheus, pg. 21
- Imperial Armour Volume Thirteen - War Machines of the Lost & The Damned, pg. 22
- Swordwind, Part 3 - The Baran War