The Rapier is a semi-automated, tracked ballistic or directed energy weapon mount that is used by both the Astra Militarum and the Adeptus Astartes as a mobile heavy weapons platform. It is used to transport weapons that are too heavy for a single Imperial Guardsman or even a Space Marine to carry on his own.
The Rapier is similar in appearance and operation to the Space Marine Thunderfire Cannon, and features on-board targeting systems and power generators. The Rapier can be operated by a single operator or by a pair of operators who control both the device's movement and weapons fire from the controls at the rear of the mount.
The Rapier can be controlled by either a Tech-priest or a Techmarine, or by specially-trained Imperial Guardsmen and Space Marines. While the Rapier's Machine Spirit is capable of moving the Rapier on its own, its weapons cannot be fired without input from its operator.
The device is usually armed with a set of quad Heavy Bolters or Multi-Lasers for anti-personnel use or a Laser Destroyer Array for anti-armour use. The machine can also be armed with an Astartes Quad Mortar, useful for siege warfare or suppressive fire. Rapiers could also be armed with even more exotic weaponry for special operations, such as a Graviton Cannon.
This now-rare weapon can trace its origins back to the Great Crusade of the late 30th Millennium where it was used by both the Imperial Army and the Space Marine Legions against the enemies of the newly-formed Imperium of Man, and later by both sides during the Horus Heresy of the early 31st Millennium.
- 1 Rapier Carrier with 2 Space Marine Gunners (41st Millennium Only, Adeptus Astartes Only)
- 1-3 Legion Rapier Carriers with 2 Space Marine Crew per Carrier (31st Millennium Only, Legiones Astartes Only)
A standard Rapier Carrier is armed and equipped with:
- A set of Quad Heavy Bolters
A Rapier Carrier's Space Marine crew is each armed and equipped with the following:
A Rapier Carrier may replace its Quad Heavy Bolters with one of the following weapons:
Horus Heresy Era Wargear
A standard Legion Rapier Carrier is armed and equipped with:
- A set of Quad Heavy Bolters
A Legion Rapier Carrier's Space Marine crew is each armed and equiped with the following:
A Legion Rapier Carrier may replace its Quad Heavy Bolters with one of the following weapons:
An entire Legion Rapier Carrier battery may also replace their Quad Heavy Bolters with an Astertes-grade Quad Launcher, becoming a Quad Launcher Support Battery. A Quad Launcher Support Battery can be outfitted with the following ammunition:
- Frag Shells (Standard)
- Incendiary Shells
- Shatter Shells
- Splinter Shells
- Phosphex Canister Shot (Only if the detachment includes a Siege Breaker Consul)
- Imperial Armour Volume One - Imperial Guard (Second Edition), pg. 267
- Imperial Armour Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes (8th Edition), pg. 43
- The Horus Heresy - Collected Visions
- The Horus Heresy - Book One: Betrayal by Alan Bligh pp. 109, 179, 201
- The Horus Heresy - Book Two: Massacre by Alan Bligh
- The Horus Heresy - Book Four: Conquest by Alan Bligh, pp. 44-45, 260-261
- The Horus Heresy - Book Five: Tempest by Alan Bligh, pg. 205
- The Horus Heresy - Book Six: Retribution by Alan Bligh, pp. 221, 240-241
- The Horus Heresy: Legiones Astartes - Age of Darkness Army List, pg. 35
- White Dwarf 100, pg. 8
- Forge World - Space Marine Rapier Laser Destroyer
- Forge World - Imperial Guard Rapier Laser Destroyer
- Forge World - Legion Rapier with Quad Heavy Bolters
- Forge World - Legion Rapier with Graviton Cannon
- Forge World - Legion Rapier with Laser Destroyer
- Forge World - Solar Auxilia Rapier with Quad Multi-Lasers