A Photon Grenade is a type of T'au defensive grenade that all Fire Warriors and Pathfinders are equipped with as standard wargear. Photon Grenades are designed to be used in a situation where enemy forces advance too close to a T'au firing line.
A Photon Grenade can repel the attackers with a awesome pulse of multi-spectrum light and a deafening sonic burst. This will often blind and disorient attackers, confusing them and slowing their charge so that the Tau infantry are able to respond with further volleys of lethal firepower.
Whilst disc-like Photon Grenades are usually thrown by hand, Pulse Carbines mount underslung Photon Grenade launchers as standard so that the grenades can be used to pin down enemies from a further distance.
- Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition), pp. 37, 67
- Codex: Tau Empire (4th Edition), pg. 29
- Codex: Tau (3rd Edition), pg. 19
- Imperial Armour Volume Three – The Taros Campaign, pg. 80
- Rogue Trader: Tau Character Guide (RPG), pg. 28
- Warhammer 40,000: Rulebook (6th Edition), pg. 62
- Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (4th Edition), pg. 54