The Orion Assault Dropship, also known simply as the Orion, is a super-heavy flyer utilised exclusively by the Legio Custodes, the elite bodyguard of the Emperor of Mankind, during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy eras.
Utilising ancient and forbidden technology from the Dark Age of Technology and armed with a formidable array of heavy weapons, the Orion Dropship was the ultimate troop delivery transport utlised by the forces of the ancient Imperium of Man.
It is unknown if the Orion is still in use by the Adeptus Custodes of the 41st Millennium.
Created as a dedicated super-heavy assault dropship for the Legio Custodes, the Enyalas Pattern Orion can carry a full task force of the Custodians into combat.
Protected by frontal armour superior to that of the Legiones Astartes Thunderhawk gunship, its Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon and Heavy Bolters can swiftly clear a landing zone of hostile infantry and armour with brutal efficiency, allowing the units within to deploy before it soars back into the sky to unleash death upon any foe who dares approach.
The Orion possesses one access ramp for Custodians at the rear of the fuselage.
- 2 Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon
- 2 Twin-linked Lastrum Bolt Cannons (Nose-mounted)
- 2 Spiculus Heavy Bolt Launchers
- Extra Armour Plating
- Armoured Ceramite
- Eclipse Shield - A prototype variant of the Flare Shield based on the Selenite Cults of Luna's technology, not only does the Eclipse Shield retard kinetic force and directed energy streams, but it also absorbs photons. Thus, when activated by heavy incoming fire, the shield appears as a midnight black energy field, completely obscuring the Orion as it screams towards its drop zone.
- Macro Arae-Shrike - Ancient blight-code relays with the ability to pervert enemy Cogitators and Auguries through the mysteries of electronic warfare are the subject of myth and baleful legend among many clades of the Mechanicum. Utilised exclusively by the Orion, the Macro Arae-Shrike was fitted to all of the Enyalus Pattern Orion super-heavy flyers, which were even more effective than their smaller counterparts. While they were of no use in stealth operations, for the distortion they created forewarned the enemy of the approach of the Emperor's servants, in open warfare they obscured the exact position of the aircraft and foiled attempts to intercept its arrival with any accuracy.
- Armoured Cockpit
- Forge World Webstore - Legio Custodes Orion Assault Dropship
- Forge World - Legio Custodes Orion Assault Dropship Rules (Download)