The Imperial Navy's Oberon-class Battleship is a well-rounded early variant of the Emperor-class Battleship that was designed to perform a variety of roles. While lacking the swarming attack craft of its successor or the raw firepower of the Retribution- or Apocalypse-class Battleships, the Oberon is able to deliver a mixed assault of attack craft, torpedoes, and lance and weapons battery fire that more specialized battleships cannot. This diverse armament gives the Oberon the ability to deal with any threat, and therefore not need the usual squadron of escorts to protect it. This self-sufficiency is further enhanced by advanced sensor systems that give the Oberon the ability to detect enemies before they are aware of its presence. Unfortunately, despite its impressive combat record, the Oberon has become exceedingly rare after it was phased out by the Imperial Navy in favor of the Emperor-class. Those still in service, however, remain formidable ships of the line with the ability to defeat any enemy on the field of battle.
Notable Oberon-class Battleships
- Green Lake - The Green Lake was an Oberon-class Battleship that fought in the Third War for Armageddon. It scored several victories over Ork ships, including destroying the Space Hulk Skullbanga before itself being destroyed by a teleporter attack by the Ork Battleship Dethdeala.
- Thunder of Heaven - An Oberon-class Battleship of Battlefleet Tempestus that fought in the Dark Marches Crusade of M36.
- Tomioka - The Tomioka was the flagship of the lost Magos Telok who vanished behind the Halo Scar in M36, never to be seen again until the venerable Oberon-class Battleship was found mysteriously abandoned on a dying planet that orbited an end-sequence star beyond the galactic fringes.
- Battlefleet Gothic Armada
- Priests of Mars (Novel) by Graham McNeill
- The Emperor Expects (Novel) by Gav Thorpe
- Imperial Armour Volume Twelve - The Fall of Orpheus, pg. 18