The Medusa is an Imperial heavy artillery siege gun used by the siege armies of the Imperial Guard to bombard heavily fortified enemy positions. Besides its field artillery companies, the backbone of any siege regiment of the Imperial Guard are its heavy artillery companies. The heavy artillery pieces used by these companies are the big guns, deployed well back from the front lines to provide a sustained bombardment of the enemy forces during a major set-piece engagement. Imperial heavy artillery includes the Imperial Guard's workhorse Earthshaker Cannon, and the aging Medusa heavy siege gun. Both types of heavy artillery fire sustained bombardments, box barrages to isolate a battlefield from enemy reinforcements, harassing fire during an enemy advance, counter-battery fire to suppress enemy artillery and destructive fire at selected enemy units, all spotted for by artillery officers who serve in the dangerous duty as forward observers on the front lines.
Uses and Armament
The Medusa siege gun fires a heavier shell than the Earthshaker Cannon at a lower velocity over a shorter distance. The heavy shell has excellent destructive capabilities, but the Medusa cannot match the Earthshaker for its longer range and so is less useful for harassing fire and counter-battery fire missions. Instead, it is primarily used to destroy enemy fortifications, such as bunkers, pillboxes, walls and trenches. The Medusa, like the Earthshaker, is too large to be towed by a Centaur field utility vehicle, and the larger Trojan towing vehicle is needed instead. The Trojan can also carry the gun's crew and some of its ammunition as needed.
Siege regiments of the Imperial Guard are supported not only by their own heavy artillery companies but also by the overall army's bombardment corps. These are concentrations of heavy artillery pieces like the Earthshaker and the Medusa that back up the attacking regiments and are used to maintain sustained bombardments before the launch of major offensives against an enemy's entrenched, fortified positions. Like the Medusa Siege Tank, the stand-alone Medusa Siege Gun is capable of firing different types of ammunition.
- High Explosive - High Explosive Rounds are the standard shells used by most artillery weapons. These shells are more than capable of destroying infantry units and even vehicles through their sheer explosive force.
- Siege Shells - Siege Shells are used against enemy structures and fortifications. They are fused to explode after hitting the ground, causing damage to the building's foundation.
- Bastion Breacher Shells - These shells are fired by the Medusa tank and the stand-alone Medusa Siege Gun. They are fired directly into the enemy walls where they burrow deep and then explode after penetrating, causing the wall to explode outwards and creating a breach for Imperial infantry to enter through.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical Specifications
|Vehicle Name:||Medusa Siege Gun||Main Armament:||Medusa Siege Gun|
|Forge World of Origin:||Lucius||Secondary Armament:||
|Known Patterns:||I - III||Traverse:||0 degrees|
|Crew:||6 Gunners||Elevation:||0 to 54 degrees|
|Weight:||12 Tonnes||Secondary Ammunition:||N/A|
|Length:||8.2 metres (Carriage Only)||Armour:|
|Height:||3.7 metres (Gun at 0 degrees Elevation)||Superstructure:||N/A|
|Ground Clearance:||0.7 metres||Hull:||N/A|
|Max Speed On-Road:||N/A||Gun Mantlet:||60 millimetres|
|Max Speed Off-Road:||N/A||Vehicle Designation:||0198-561-6730-MG42|
|Transport Capacity:||N/A||Firing Ports:||N/A|
- Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks Part One
- Imperial Armour Volume Six - The Siege of Vraks Part Two
- Imperial Armour Volume Seven - The Siege of Vraks Part Three