The Mark of Nurgle is a Mark of Chaos given to Nurgle's greatest followers causing them to become a living host to the powers of death, disease and decay. Heretics with the Mark of Nurgle are marked with either a physical mark corroded into their corrupted flesh or a hidden but no less permanent mark upon their soul. The Mark of Nurgle constantly releases pus like a festering wound, without taking any attention away from the bearer. A vast portion of Chaos Space Marines with the Mark of Nurgle are from the Death Guard Traitor Legion and their warbands. Chaos Space Marines with the Mark of Nurgle are likely to become Plague Marines, gifted with almost unstoppable resilience by the Plague Lord. These champions are compelled to constantly spread Nurgle's Rot throughout the galaxy.
- Black Crusade: Core Rulebook (RPG), pp. 82, 87
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 30
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 25
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, Revised Codex), pg. 59
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, 1st Codex), pg. 29
- Codex: Chaos (2nd Edition), pg. 27
- Realms of Chaos: The Lost & The Damned (1st Edition), pg. 55