"The Ember Wolves do not shirk from the fight. For we are ferocity made metal. The doom of mightier machines. We bring gods to their armoured knees."
- — Princeps Balthus Voltemand, Commander of Canis Ulteriax
The Legio Audax (Ember Wolves) is a Traitor Titan Legion of the Dark Mechanicum that repudiated its oaths to the Emperor of Mankind and followed the Warmaster Horus into the service of the Ruinous Powers during the Horus Heresy. The Ember Wolves assisted the World Eaters Space Marine Legion throughout the Great Crusade after they were attached to the 13th Expeditionary Fleet's order of battle, and they shared this Astartes Legion's savage approach to combat. In the later days of the Great Crusade, the Legio Audax received most of its supply and maintenance services from the Redjak Mechanicum of the Forge World of Sarum, which was liberated by the World Eaters and had pledged itself to the service of the 13th Expeditionary Fleet thereafter.
This alliance allowed the Titans of the Legio Audax to be equipped with scaled-down versions of Ursus Claw systems -- the great harpoons used by the World Eaters flagship, the Conqueror, for boarding actions. Another peculiarity of the Legio Audax was it's complement that consisted solely of Warhound Titan-variants that possessed additional armour plating than was standard, as well as their use of pack tactics when engaging larger foes. It is known that the Ember Wolves numbered approximately 90 machines in the aftermath of the destruction of Armatura. The Ember Wolves are known to have participated in the Istvaan III Atrocity that began the Horus Heresy and in the Shadow Crusade but Imperial records bear no further mention of their actions.
- Istvaan III Atrocity (ca. 007.M31) - The campaign known in later times as the Istvaan III Atrocity began when the Imperial Planetary Governor of Istvaan III, Vardus Praal, had been corrupted by the Chaos God Slaanesh whose cultists had long been active on that world. In 205.M31, Praal declared his world to be independent from the Imperium. Unaware of the change in Horus' loyalties after his corruption by Chaos on the world of Davin, the Council of Terra charged the Warmaster with the retaking of that world, primarily its capital, the Choral City. When the Imperium finally gathered its forces, the Sons of Horus, Death Guard, Emperor's Children and the World Eaters Legions arrived in the Istvaan System, mustering in orbit above the doomed planet. Under the guise of putting down the Istvaanian rebellion against Imperial Compliance, Horus hatched the plan by which he would destroy all the remaining Loyalist elements of the Legions under his command. He purposely gathered those Astartes who were not loyal to him and used them in the assault on the non-Compliant world. With elements of the Legio Mortis, the Legio Audax and the Legio Vulpa Titan Legion in support, the invasion of Istvaan III then began in earnest. The Ember Wolves are known to have taken part in the final attack on the Precentor's Palace alongside the Titans of the Death's Heads, but little mention of their other actions during the campaign are currently present in Imperial records.
- War Within the Webway (005.M31) - When the forces of the Warmaster Horus gained access to the Eldar Webway, several contingents of mortal forces were deployed in support of the Warmaster's daemonic allies in a great push to attack Terra directly. Supporting an unidentified second Titan Legion, several Warhound Scout Titans of the Legio Audax fought within the confines of the Webway before sacrificing themselves in order to break the wall of the Impossible City during the Siege of Calastar.
- Syrgalah (Ember Queen) - Also known as the Ember Queen, the Syrgalah led Legio Audax in support of the World Eaters and Word Bearers Legions in their attacks on the worlds of Armatura and Nuceria during the Horus Heresy.
- Canis Ulteriax - The Canis Ulteriax was the leading Titan of Battle-Pack Karnassia under the command of Princeps Primus Balthus Voltemand. The Canis Ulteriax was destroyed by the controlled reactor core explosion of the Legio Castigatra Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Lupa Laudator - The Lupa laudator was a member of Battle-Pack Karnassia and was destroyed by the Legio Castigatra 's Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Pugnax Principio - The Pugnax Pricipio was a member of Battle-Pack Karnassia and was crushed underfoot by the Legio Castigatra 's Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Rapacia Rex - The Rapacia Rex was a member part Battle-Pack Karnassia and was destroyed by the Vulpium Nox during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Rubella Mortem - The Rubella Mortem, also known as the "Red Death" was a member of Battle-Pack Karnassia. The Rubella Mortem had the greatest number of God-engine kills in the pack. The Red Death was Destroyed by Canis Ulteriax s Ursus Claw during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Vulpium Nox - The Vulpium Nox" was a member of Battle-Pack Karnassia that was destroyed by Rubella Mortem 's Turbo-Laser Destructor beam during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Venric Solostine - Princeps Ultima of the Legio Audax, Princeps of Command Titan Syrgalah. Slain by a Legio Lysanda Reaver-class Titan during the Battle of Armatura.
- Toth Kol - Moderati Primus, Command Titan Syrgalah.
- Keeda Bly - Moderati Secundus, Command Titan Syrgalah.
- The Ninth - Mechanicum Adept, Command Titan Syrgalah.
- Audac Lyrac - Princeps Penultima of the Legio Audax. After the death of Venric Solostine he became Princeps Ultima and took control of the Command Titan Syrgalah.
- Balthus Voltemand - The Princeps Primus of Battle-Pack Karnassia, commander of Canis Ulteriax. Killed by the controlled reactor core explosion of the Legio Castigatra Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Shenk - Moderati Primus of Canis Ulteriax. Slain by a beam from the Rubella Mortem 's Turbo-Laser Destructor during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Kordella - Moderati Secundus of Canis Ulteriax. Killed by the controlled reactor core explosion of Legio Castigatra Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Grental Thrax - Princeps of the Rubella Mortem. Killed by a swipe from the Canis Ulteriax 's Ursus Claw during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Haximiliian Bettanquor - Princeps of the Vulpium Nox. Slain by a beam from the Rubella Mortem 's Turbo-Laser Destructor during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Phestalag - Princeps of Pugnax Principio. Crushed underfoot by the Legio Castigatra Warmonger-class Titan Tantorus Magnificat during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
- Tunstall Haulk - Princeps of Rapacia Rex, one of Thrax's close allies. Killed by the Vulpium Nox during the battle for Gorgonopsii Maestrale.
Each of the Legion's Titans is bulkier from additional armour plating and wears a head of dark metal, resembling a wolf or jackal baring it's teeth.
This Traitor Titan Legion's colours are dark red trimmed with iron, decorated with embers and cracked lava designs.
This Traitor Titan Legion's badge is not listed in current Imperial records.
- The Horus Heresy - Book One: Betrayal by Alan Bligh, pp. 40, 56, 96
- Betrayer (Novel) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
- Master of Mankind (Novel) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, pg. 268
- The Ember Wolves (Short Story) by Rob Sanders