The Hawkwing was a large assault craft used by the Legiones Astartes during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy eras in the late 30th and early 31st Millennia. The Hawkwing was used alongside the Stormbird super-heavy dedicated attack landers that were the Space Marine Legions' primary means of deploying forces into combat as well as air support and general planetary transport for that majority of the Great Crusade. The Hawkwing was a large, void-capable aircraft with a wide, elegant shape, like a giant ray or skate, with broad, triangular wings and a slender dart of a tail.
The Hawkwing was used by the Legiones Astartes alongside the Stormbird to land infantry and vehicles on planetary surfaces. However, civilian patterns of the Hawkwing existed that were used by Imperial merchants for hauling cargo from planetary surfaces into space.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical Specifications
The Adeptus Mechanicus technical specifications for this ancient spacecraft are unknown.
- Tales of Heresy (Anthology) edited by Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestley, "Blood Games" by Dan Abnett
- Deliverance Lost (Novel) by Gav Thorpe, Chs. 6-8
- Fear to Tread (Novel) by James Swallow, Chs. 2, 13-14
- Shadows of Treachery (Anthology) edited by Christian Dunn and Nick Kyme, "The Lightning Tower" by Dan Abnett
- The Lightning Tower (Audio Drama) by Dan Abnett
- Angel Exterminatus (Novel) by Graham McNeill, Ch. 12