Created as they were from the Blood Angels' gene-seed, they too carried the genetic flaws inherited from Sanguinius. Like many of their contemporary Successor Chapters founded in later centuries, the Golden Sons were greatly affected by the genetic flaws of their Blood Angels' heritage, the Black Rage and the Red Thirst, even more so than earlier Successors. When a Battle-Brother fell to the throes of the Black Rage he was placed within the ranks of the Death Company.
Unlike their forebears, the Golden Sons were known to take a much harsher, punitive attitude to their battle-lost brothers, hurling their Death Companies into battle with no concern for their afflicted Battle-Brothers' lives and using them as a blunt instrument to break enemy front lines no matter the cost.
This Chapter displayed such merciless disregard many times across the span of the millennia.
- Devastation of Baal (ca. 999.M41) - During the Devastation of Baal, the Golden Sons were among the Successor Chapters that answered Dante's call for aid in the face of Hive Fleet Leviathan's assault on Baal, committing the entire Chapter fleet to the defence. Despite its best efforts, the Chapter suffered extremely heavy losses, including the destruction of the entire Chapter fleet during the Great Devourer's relentless assault. The Chapter's fabled Librarius was lost to the void with the fleet. Its Chapter Serfs were consumed by the Hive Mind and the Chapter itself was reduced to a handful of scattered survivors.
Notable Golden Sons
- Chapter Master Erden Cleeve - Erden Cleeve is the current Chapter Master of the Golden Sons.
- Captain Cantar - Cantar was the commander of the Golden Sons' 2nd Company prior to the Devastation of Baal and was among the Golden Sons' forces sent to reinforce the Blood Angels in the face of Hive Fleet Leviathan's assault on Baal. It is unknown whether he survived the destruction of the Chapter fleet.
The Golden Sons' Chapter colours are not listed in current Imperial records.
The Golden Sons' Chapter badge is not listed in current Imperial records.
The Index Astartes: Death Company claims that the Golden Sons are an extinct Chapter.
Yet, in The Devastation of Baal novel by Guy Haley, the Chapter still exists and participates in the defence of the Blood Angels' homeworld during the Devastation of Baal.
- Index Astartes: Death Company (Digital Edition), pg. 6
- The Devastation of Baal (Novel) by Guy Haley, pp. 168-169, 392