An EMP Grenade is a type of Tau grenade that is sometimes issued to Fire Caste infantry such as Fire Warriors and Pathfinders. EMP Grenades are technological marvels that briefly emit an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) upon detonation, which can overload electronic circuitry, causing anything from minor malfunctions in electronics to fires, complete meltdowns and other critical malfunctions.
Whilst EMP Grenades do not physically damage foes, the havoc they play with the internal systems of powered armour and vehicles is enough to at the very least disable them temporarily, or, more often than not, cause some form of catastrophic failure in a system, leading to an explosive reaction for the unfortunate vehicle or robotic construct.
- Codex: Tau (3rd Edition), pg. 19
- Codex: Tau Empire (4th Edition), pg. 28
- Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition), pp. 37, 67
- Imperial Armour Volume Three – The Taros Campaign, pg. 80
- Warhammer 40,000: Rulebook (6th Edition), pg. 62
- Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (4th Edition), pg. 46