Ceramite is a form of heat and shock-resistant ceramic material that is widely used throughout the Imperium of Man.
High-quality ceramite is used in the manufacture of the higher-quality types of Imperial infantry, vehicle and aircraft armour, including Carapace Armour, Power Armour and Terminator Armour. High-quality ceramite is also used to provide additional protection for the vehicles of the Adeptus Astartes.
Ceramite is capable of absorbing and dissipating even the most extreme thermal and directed-energy attacks, and conducts many other forms of electromagnetic radiation in such a way as to disperse it across a wide area. This makes ceramite especially effective at providing protection against directed-energy and particle-based weapons.
An inexpensive and sturdy building material widely used across the Imperium consists of pulp wood formed around a core of low-grade ceramite. This material is used for the construction of the low-cost prefabricated housing blocks prevalent on many Imperial Hive Worlds.
- Inquisitor Rulebook, pg. 84
- Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook (3rd Edition)
- Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (2nd Edition)
- Imperial Armour Volume 2 Second Edition - Warmachines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 105
- Imperial Armour Volume 13 - Warmachines of the Lost and the Damned, pg. 58