An Auspex, also called a Surveyor, a Multi-scanner, or simply a Scanner, is a short-ranged Imperial sensor device used to detect motion, invisible gases and energy emissions across a wide band of the electromagnetic spectrum. This includes such emissions as heat, radiation and most forms of energy given off by vehicles and living troops.
An Auspex's main tactical use is for triangulating the location of otherwise hidden enemy forces so that they can be fired upon by Imperial troops. The standard range of an Auspex is fifty metres, although walls more than fifty centimetres thick as well as certain types of building materials are able to block their active and passive sensor modes.
An Auspex can take the form of a separate hand-held device, or its mechanism may be built into a helmet such as in the case of Adeptus Astartes Power Armour and Terminator Armour Auto-senses. The Astra Militarum uses hand-held scanners known as Surveyors, though the technology is essentially identical. The Space Marines and other Imperial forces like the Orders Militant of the Adepta Sororitas, the forces of the Inquisition, the Adeptus Arbites and the Imperial Navy use the Auspex. Similar technology is also used by the Heretic Astartes and other Forces of Chaos like regiments of Traitor Imperial Guard who make use of former Imperial technologies.
Long-ranged sensors like those used on Imperial voidships are often referred to as Augurs, though they make use of the same technology and detection vectors as the Auspex, save with far greater range and power when in active scanning mode.
Notable Augur Variants
- Bg-15 Assault Scanners - Optimised for the support of planetary invasions, these scanners are designed to pinpoint the power sources of both planetary and orbital installations, the better to rain fire down upon them.
- X-470 Ultimo Array - This suite of sensors provides the vessel with a broad spectrum of constant data on all events in the void beyond its hull. This is accomplished through a series of high-powered emitters that transmit a large array of electromagnetic wavelengths and subatomic particles.
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition) (Digital Edition), pg. 414
- Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (1st Edition), pg. 143
- Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus (RPG), pg. 35