The origins of the Angels of Vigilance are shrouded in mystery. It is suspected that the Chapter came into existence during the Second Founding, but it is unknown from which First Founding Space Marine Legion its gene-seed originates.
Given the monastic nature and unflinching devotion to duty of the Space Marines within the Chapter's ranks, it is believed that they may be one of the Dark Angels' Successor Chapters. However this is unconfirmed and certainly the Chapter is not listed in the Apocrypha of Davio as such.
The fortress-monastery of the Angels of Vigilance is a gigantic orbital dock circling the world of Pervigilium. The Pervigilium System is situated just outside the Cadian Gate, the stable corridor of space in the Segmentum Obscurus that leads from the Eye of Terror to Terra.
Each time the fleets of Chaos vomit forth from the Eye of Terror, the Angels of Vigilance muster to fight them. Each time the Warp is calm enough to allow passage, the Angels of Vigilance take the fight to the Forces of Chaos.
However, unlike many other Chapters, the Angels of Vigilance have never once mobilised their entire Chapter to fight in warzones across the galaxy. Each Battle-Brother of the Chapter has sworn a blood oath that the Angels of Vigilance's fortress-monastery shall never be undefended and each time the Chapter has been called to war, at least one company is duty-bound to remain behind on garrison duty.
The source of this blood oath is unrecorded, but Imperial histories show that in the years following the Horus Heresy, the Dark Angels Legion of Space Marines disobeyed direct orders from the High Lords of Terra and launched a campaign against the ruling castes of Pervigilium, which is still told as a legend among the Dark Angels under the title "The Fall of the House of Pervigilium."
The Dark Angels decreed that a detachment should remain on the world to watch over the ruling caste and make sure that they never again strayed from the Imperium. Many standard years later, following the Second Founding, the Angels of Vigilance took up station around the planet and have kept watch on it and the Eye of Terror ever since.
- Third War for Armageddon (998.M41) - Space Marines from the Angels of Vigilance Chapter were listed as serving on the Hive World of Armageddon during the Third War for Armageddon. They committed no less than 6 companies to the war.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - The Angels of Vigilance committed 5 companies to combat in the 13th Black Crusade, which fought against Abaddon the Despoiler's forces on the surface of Cadia itself until its destruction. The Angels of Vigilance are only one of four known Space Marine Chapters to have fought in both the Third War for Armageddon and the 13th Black Crusade campaigns.
It is unclear whether the Chapter completely follows the dictates of the Codex Astartes as it is a Successor Chapter of the Dark Angels, who are only partially Codex-compliant.
The Chapter Master of the Angels of Vigilance appears to go by the title "Master of the Order."
The black squad specialty symbol -- battleline, close support, fire support or Veteran -- is located on the right shoulder plate.
A white Low Gothic numeral is stenciled on the centre of the squad specialty symbol, indicating squad number.
The colour of a Battle-Brothers' left knee guard indicates company number in accordance with Codex-approved heraldry -- i.e. White (1st Company), Yellow (2nd Company), Red (3rd Company), etc.
A black Low Gothic numeral stenciled upon the left knee guard also indicates company number.
The Angels of Vigilance's Chapter badge is a black crucible with black flames erupting from it, with two black, stylised wings protruding from its sides. This is centred on a field of yellow.
In Chapter Approved 2001 - Second Book of the Astronomican, the Angels of Vigilance appear listed among the Chapters created in "later Foundings," and thus the Chapter was not of the Second Founding, while Index Astartes: Emperor's Shield indicates next to their colour scheme that the Chapter was created in the 40th Millennium.
However, the Third War for Armageddon website remains the primary source for their background, and there they are stated to be likely descendants of the Dark Angels, created during or shortly after the Second Founding, as noted above.
- Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Release Booklet), pg. 10
- Chapter Approved 2001 - Second Book of the Astronomican, pg. 117
- Codex: Armageddon (3rd Edition), pg. 32
- Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition), pg. 17
- Codex: Dark Angels (6th Edition), pg. 19
- Gathering Storm - Part I - Fall of Cadia (7th Edition), pg. 98
- Warhammer 40,000: Apocalypse (6th Edition), pg. 319
- Third War for Armageddon Imperial Forces Disposition: Angels of Vigilance.
- Index Astartes: Emperor's Shield.